Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dear fellow brides to be,

One piece of advice that I wished someone had shared with me prior to my engagement, is that when you share your ideas for your wedding with others, you open the door and invite them to share their opinions of your ideas.  And also, to share their own ideas for your wedding.

What I never realized is exactly how many women have been planning my wedding for years. Many of these women were at it loooooonng before they had ever met me.  Some had every detail ironed out, even before I myself was prancing around my parents' home with a pillow case on my head, envisioning the magical day that I would one day walk down the aisle toward my very own Prince Charming.

And ladies, let me tell you, the weddings they've planned in their minds are not any where close to the day I'm envisioning.  Not close at all.

Now, if you are the kind of bride-to-be who needs a little help (or a lot) then you have a bevy of women who are already a mile ahead of you to lend a hand with the planning.  You can breathe a sigh of relief.

But if you're like me, and have even the smallest detail planned, this "help" can come as quite a shock. 

I know that my engagement and early wedding planning phase would have been so much more pleasant and enjoyable if I had only known what I was getting myself into.  If only I had been aware of the number of women who were ready and willing to plan my day for me.  That there were even a few who expected me to let them plan my day for me.  Which for me, is not what I wanted.

And so ladies, I hope your experience is very different from mine.  I hope no one ever tells you your ideas are bad or wrong.  I hope you never recieve "no" as a response to your "wouldn't it be great if...".  I hope your family/friends/future in-laws are supportive and encouraging.  But if you think you might recieve the responses that I did, I encourage you to keep the details between you and your wedding planner (if you have one).

No comments:

Post a Comment